CLEs and other classes
The Law Library sponsors a Continuing Legal Education class every month. Each CLE is:
- Free to attend and open to all -- no registration required
- Held the 3rd Friday of the month, from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m.
- Approved for 1 CLE credit
- Streaming-only until further notice
- Sign up for CLE emails to receive the live stream link
Sign up to receive notification of upcoming CLEs by email.
For more information contact us at 612-348-7960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
August: Transgender Military Service: Law, Policy, and the Lived Experience
Presented by Máel Embser-Herbert, Ph.D., J.D., Professor of Sociology, Hamline University
- Friday, August 21, 2020, 12:15 – 1:15 p.m. (this CLE will be live-streamed only)
In June 2016, the Department of Defense announced that transgender individuals would be able to serve openly in the US military. Thirteen months later, President Trump tweeted his intent to reverse that policy. Meanwhile, service members had begun transitioning medically, legally, and socially. Máel Embser-Herbert, author of the book The U.S. Military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Policy: A Reference Handbook and several articles and chapters on transgender military service, will describe service members’ experiences during this period and the policy as it exists today. This CLE will also address pending legal challenges to the current policy, as well as the relevance of Title VII to this issue.
Approved for one Elimination of Bias CLE credit: Code no. 316239.
(A link to the live stream will post here the day of the CLE. Sign up to receive the link in your email.)
September's CLE topic will be announced soon.
- Friday, September 18, 2020, 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.